Tips for Hospital Emergency Room Staff
Network staff is available to assist you in locating services for patients who are seeking chronic dialysis treatments in the emergency room due to evacuations and disaster situations.
The Network works with local and State OEMS to assist in finding surge capacity, and advocating for resources to treat and transport dialysis patients.
Basic information needed to assist placing dialysis patients:
- Type of dialysis treatment: In-Center Hemodialysis; Home Hemodialysis; Peritoneal Dialysis
- Name and street address, town of Clinic that operates the patient’s chronic dialysis center.
If the patient does not know the name of the clinic - ask if it is a clinic run by a corporation (see list below)
- Date that the patient last had dialysis treatment
The following corporations operate Emergency Help lines to assist in finding a clinic for their patients:
- DaVita Emergency Hotline: 1-800-400-8331
- DCI Emergency Hotline: 1-866-424-1990
- Fresenius Emergency Hotline: 1-800-626-1297
- U.S. Renal Care: 1-866-671-8772
- American Renal Associates: 1-888-880-6867
If the patient needs medical sheltering:
If you are unable to gain assistance from the dialysis corporation, the Network works with state ESF-8 and ESF-6 and can assist in shelter placement and locating dialysis treatment centers and transportation.
It is important that patients who may be missing regular dialysis treatments start the 3-day emergency diet immediately to restrict fluid weight gain and toxin build up.
Kidney Care in Emergencies: Pamphlet