Interested in Joining the PAC?
The Patient Advisory Committee (PAC) provides an opportunity to patients, transplant recipients and care partners for the purposes of lending perspective and assisting in the promotion of patient, family and care partner engagement in ESRD care, as well as promoting positive relationships between patients, provider staff, ESRD stakeholders and the Network. The PAC consists of three separate levels of involvement: Members, Representatives and Chairpersons. Representatives and Chairpersons. The Patient Advisory Committee is for individuals who are interested in:
- Educating themselves on kidney disease and ways to be a healthier patient living with ESRD
- Becoming an empowered patient by being an active participant with your personal care team
- Learning more about the patient advocacy and quality improvement activities
(Must be nominated by their social worker or another facility representative and complete a certified peer mentor training course)
- Developing and Expanding their advocacy skills and become more involved with their Dialysis Facility and ESRD Network
- Speaking with their ESRD peers and sharing advice and experiences
- More education and training surrounding ESRD and other kidney diseases
(must serve a PAC Representative for at least 1 year before consideration)
- Assist supporting patients and activities in your region and talking with other patients and care team members to obtain their perspectives.
- Provide feedback on the effectiveness of the Network’s patient related activities and assist in developing resources and tools that will support reaching quality improvement goals
- Review and make recommendations regarding patient related health care messages, materials and activities planned by the Network.
Once involved in the PAC a patient may be interested in serving as a Subject Matter Experts (SME). SMEs are individuals who are able to devote more time each month to be involved in planning quality improvement activities with the Network and other Federal agencies including participating on national conference calls.
Becoming a PAC Member
If you are a dialysis patient, transplant recipient, family member, or care partner and are interested in becoming a PAC member, speak with your dialysis facility social worker or contact the Network.
PAC Nomination Form
PAC Recruitment Materials:
Patient Advisory Committee Chairpersons
- Albany-Utica: TBD
- Bronx: Vivian King; Kenneth Teasley
- Brooklyn Co-Chairs: Stephanie Dixon, Warren Edmonds, Wendy Rivers, Gemma Baptiste
- Buffalo Region Co-Chairs: Barbara Breckenridge, Shane Carmen Dietz
- Hudson Valley: TBA
- Manhattan/Staten Island Co-Chairs: Larry Wilson; Nelson Nunez
- Nassau County: Lachyel Vaughn
- Queens County Co-Chairs: Monica Richter; Dawn Edwards
- Rochester Region: TBA
- Suffolk County: Peter Savage
- Staten Island: Evelyn Davis
- Syracuse Region: TBA
Annual Kathe LeBeau Patient Advocate Award
In recognition of the life and achievements of PAC Chair/IPRO Board Member Kathe LeBeau, the Patient Advisory Committee has created the Annual Kathe LeBeau Patient Advocate Award, to be presented at the Network’s Annual Meeting (April 15, 2015 in Garden City, NY).
Benchmarked by the extraordinary patient advocate work of Kathe LeBeau, this Award recognizes a single patient’s accomplishments both within and outside of the dialysis clinic.
For 2017, nominations are due to the Network by February 14, 2018.
You may nominate yourself or another patient advocate. In keeping with the spirit of Kathe’s work, we ask that each nominee:
- Be a resident of New York State, living with ESRD (dialysis or transplant);
- Currently serve as a member of the Network’s Patient Advisory Committee (Chair or Representative) or as a Network Subject Matter Expert; and
- Be an active patient advocate whose work has a positive impact on the ESRD community
PAC Individual Recognition of Achievement Award
In recognition of the achievements of our peers who are living with End Stage Kidney Disease, the Patient Advisory Committee of the IPRO ESRD Network of New York has instituted the Annual Recognition Award. In addition to the certificate, we will feature the Awardees with a photo and a synopsis of their achievements in our network publications including Kidney Chronicles, Network Notes, The PAC Speaks and our website and social media.
IPRO ESRD Network of New York
Nigisty Lulu, BPH
Community Outreach Coordinator